Needed to rotate the tires before winter comes in. BFG AT’s were beginning to “cup” a little bit.

Posted by mechanic, filed under Maintenance. Date: November 2, 2008, 4:51 pm | No Comments »

Well… it finally happened. The dreaded blower motor problem. But it wasn’t as bad as one might think (other than dealing with cold mornings!).

One thing that was nice was this great little write up on GLXJ .
I did have to order the part from Autozone as it’s NOT a stock part (silly people). Duralast CR158 is the replacement which is only $39.99 but takes about 3 days to get.

Blower Motor Resistor

Posted by mechanic, filed under Maintenance. Date: October 6, 2008, 9:40 pm | No Comments »

Oil change (actual 122,540)

  • Replaced oil filter with Mobile 1 M-301
  • Replaced oil with Mobile 1 Drive Clean 5000 5w30 (5 Quarts)
  • Lucas Oil Treatment (1 Quart)

Replaced throttle body with big bore unit
Recharge K&N air filter (stock dropin)
Topped off washer fluid
Fuel treatment additive
Greased all zerk fittings (front end/drive shaft)
Installed Pioneer DEH-P4900IB w/iPod cable

Posted by mechanic, filed under Maintenance. Date: August 30, 2008, 10:24 pm | No Comments »

I got an email from Matt asking about how to get the lift gate gas struts out and replaced. This might be a simple thing but not until you’ve done it once or twice.

So, this is usually a 5-10 minute job to replace both gas struts, and I do recommend replacing both at the same time. That gate coming down on the head will leave a bump!

Have a friend with you holding the gate in the up position. Work on the first strut by removing the (2) 10mm bolts at one end. Then with a small screw driver, on the ball end, you’ll see a “clip” retrainer holding on the ball. Facing you there will be a small divit for getting the screw driver in and pulling the clip out part way. This will allow the strut to be removed. Replacement is done in reverse, just pull the clip out part way put the strut in place and lock the clip down. Then it’s just putting the bolts back in for the opposite end. Now, switch spots with your friend and do the other side.

Matt – I’ll try to get pictures up tomorrow as a reference. And thank you! I try to get to all questions and as our parents told us, “there is no such thing as a dumb question”. If you don’t ask, you’ll never learn. So ask and I’ll try to get to them all as quickly as I can. And happy jeeping!

Posted by mechanic, filed under Information, Maintenance. Date: June 30, 2008, 9:58 pm | No Comments »

Odd thing, you always want to know that the blood in your motor is always flowing. The only way to know that is the oil pressure gauge. Mine decided to have issues recently. On cold start it would go to 40-50psi and under acceleration, it would peg out over 80+psi. Knowing that I normally run 40psi cold and 25psi on hot idle, I started poking around the net for a reason. After finding more than one comment on NAXJA about high oil pressure gauge pegging out and it being caused by a bad oil pressure switch, I figured it was time to replace mine. Autozone had it in stock (#PS401) for $46.99. It is mounted just above the oil filter on the 4.0L motor. Using a 1 and 1/16″ socket to remove the old one, the new one already came with pipe dope on the threads. This is to make a good seal, remember this is under pressure. Total time for R&R was about 15 mins, that includes cleaning up and toping off fluids. An easy fix, a bit pricey for such a small thing, but well worth it to make sure you can see how your motor is running!

Posted by mechanic, filed under Maintenance. Date: March 22, 2008, 10:32 pm | No Comments »

Oil change (actual 117,379)

  • Replaced oil filter with Mobile 1 M-301
  • Replaced oil with Mobile 1 Drive Clean 5000 5w30 (6 Quarts)

Rotate tires
Replaced gas cap (broken) #6837
Topped off washer fluid

Posted by mechanic, filed under Maintenance. Date: February 9, 2008, 7:36 pm | No Comments »

Oil change (actual 114,235)

  • Replaced oil filter with Mobile 1 M-301
  • Replaced oil with Mobile 1 Drive Clean 5000 5w30 (6 Quarts)

Installed spare rear drive shaft (rebuilt with new u-joints)
Installed front drive shaft (new u-joint @ axle end)
Replace burned out bulb in map light

Posted by mechanic, filed under Maintenance. Date: December 1, 2007, 6:55 pm | No Comments »

23  Oct
Loose track bar

Needed to order a new track bar screw and retaining nut as the one I used, became stretched and loose. Figured may as well use the factory spec ones since the 8.8 one I used didn’t work very well. Another 100 mile trip and seems to be holding much better. Guess 10.9 strength does make a small difference.

Parts were only $10.60 plus tax. One day order time from the local dealer.

Posted by mechanic, filed under Information, Maintenance. Date: October 23, 2007, 7:32 pm | No Comments »

Oil change

  • Replaced oil filter with Mobile 1 M-301
  • Replaced oil with Mobile 1 Drive Clean 5000 5w30 (5 Quarts)
  • Lucas Oil Treatment (1 Quart)

Replaced (2) hatch gas struts with Mighty Lift (C95771)
Installed  Street Racer Parts White Face gauges (part no longer made)

Posted by mechanic, filed under Maintenance. Date: September 29, 2007, 12:44 am | No Comments »

Oil change

  • Replaced oil filter with Mobile 1 M-204
  • Replaced oil with Mobile 1 Drive Clean 5000 5w30

Coolant change

  • Replaced Thermostat with Duralast 180* unit
  • Replaced gastket with Felpro 35630
  • Replaced Radiator cap with CST 7616 16# unit
  • Filled with Peak 50/50 Premix antifreeze

Posted by mechanic, filed under Maintenance. Date: August 25, 2007, 3:41 pm | No Comments »